Thursday, April 12, 2012

6 days of limbo land

Your advice is needed!

Here's the deal:
I am going to Switzerland June 17th-August 13th.
I am moving to Barcelona mid August, and new teacher orientation begins August 19th.

As most of you know, I am excited for these adventures and looking forward to seeing what is in store. However, I am extremely sad about leaving Iowa. I am very sad about missing my family, this town, the people I have grown to love and value here. The move is very bittersweet.

So my dilemma:

I originally thought I would be starting orientation in Barcelona the day after Switzerland. This means that I would need to have everything for Barcelona packed and shipped to Spain before I leave for Switzerland. I would need to have all my curriculum sorted through and organized, clothing and accessories boxed up, all my goodbyes said, etc. by June! This was very overwhelming to me. However....

I now know that I actually could have as many as 6 full days in between the programs. I am very torn about what to do with these 6 days. The way I see it, my options are as follows:

1. I could fly back to Iowa. It wouldn't cost me any more because the program is covering most of my flight anyway. I could spend a solid 5 days with my family and Devin, and see the people I really want to see one more time. I could pack up, rest up, and adjust my mind to being ready for the more permanent move, and then launch off again.

2. Sarah and Devin could possibly fly out to Barcelona. We could travel around the area, or even around another part of Europe. I could spend the week with them, and make it as restful or fast-paced as desired.
I wouldn't get to see the rest of my family at all, but I would get to spend some time in Europe with at least those two, and possibly some friends of mine who are near Spain could also join. This means the whole "being totally ready to move by June" part still applies.

What would you do? Would I be stupid to come all the way back to Iowa when I could stay in Europe? OR would it be dumb to stay there when I could have my flights paid for to come back for a bit?

I know, ultimately, it's my decision to make. But I am curious what you all think. If you know anything at all about me, it is that making decisions is NOT a strength of mine. Sooo please, weigh in!

1 comment:

Andrea G. said...

Since you used the word... it would be "stupid" to fly back to Iowa! See who you can fly out there to you and hang out! Or do some other exploring on your own! You probably will not be all over Europe whenever you start a family until your babies are in college and studying abroad. So STAY there and look for somewhere cool you have never seen :)