Saturday, February 25, 2012

Why I Don't Like Blogging



I have tried to figure out why exactly I lack motivation to transfer my thoughts from my head into this blog. And I think I figured out a large reason why.

My friends are scattered all across the world. Even those I am close in proximity to, the crazy pace of everyone’s lives often makes it feel like we are miles away. I miss these people so much. My life is full of wise, insightful, funny people who have much to offer to my life. Some of those people I see occasionally, run into at the gym or grocery store; and others I have to schedule a Skype date with after factoring in the time difference. But no matter where all these lovely people are, they all have something in common : I don’t talk to them enough!

So this great invention of blogging came about…What a good idea! Rather than having to schedule an individual conversation with each person you care about sharing life with, you can write your thoughts, and others can read them - at their convenience. They can respond/offer their two cents whenever they have the chance. It is great for a society that lives as frantically as ours does.

As I am writing, I literally imagine people that I am speaking to. Does everyone do that? Maybe it’s just me. But as I am writing, I think of these different people. People with whom I wish I was sitting with at the Java House, sipping a cappuccino and catching up. But since that is rarely possible, I resort to this. I imagine what I would say to them. I think of things I want to share with them, questions to which I want their input, stories for which I want to hear their response, etc. I write as if I was speaking to them, trying to clearly communicate what is on my mind.  So what’s the problem?

The problem is that I have no idea who is reading it.  That bothers me. I am not writing just for the sake of hearing my own thoughts. That’s why I journal. That is my own time with my brain. I wouldn’t (and don’t) put that on the internet. I want to blog because I want to converse. Even if it is a less than ideal way to do so, it is a more realistic way than scheduling a million phone dates all throughout every afternoon. But I realized that the reason I stopped blogging was because it felt like pouring my heart out to a brick wall. No one is listening! No one is responding! What’s the point?

So that is where I am. I know blogging is the new “cool girl” thing to do. Everyone wants to start a blog and everyone tries to be wittier than the other. It makes people feel legitimate. Like if they put their thoughts on the internet, that magically makes them important.

I don’t think that. I truly don’t think my thoughts are anything special. I am not going to edit my blog posts for hours trying to make them sound perfect. But I do want to share life in some way with people that I love. It just simply is not worth doing if it is just skimmed, and then the window is closed.  It has to be a two-way street. If you read my blog, I want to know! I want to know what you think! Otherwise I feel like a selfish, conversation hog. Anyone who knows me knows that that is the last thing I want to be!

So…what do you think? Is it worth it? Will you join me? If you read - will you tell me, respond somehow, comment, ask a question, share a story, share a thought, challenge something I said, any/all of the above? If so....please let me know if I should take the time to write again. :) 

2 comments:

thedesertshallrejoice said...

I'm reading Rach! And I like what I'm reading :) If you keep writing I will try me very best to keep responding!

Love you <3

tjp said...

Blogging is funny and I totally know what you mean. Brick wall, most definitely. Especially when the disparity between the page views and the comments is rather...large?! You have to decide who you're blogging for and if it's worth it for you. I decided that it's enough for me to know that my blog means so much to my far-away mom. It's worth it for me to know she feels a little more connected to her grandkids. And someday, when I'm old and gray and even more forgetful, I can look back and say, "Oh, so that's what I did with my life!" : ) Keep at it, but only if you feel like it. This is primarily your space, after all...