Sunday, October 30, 2011

I heart IC

The last year and a half have included a lot. Since graduating from college and moving, long distance dating, having an (amazing) boyfriend move across the country to be with me, starting a new school, starting a variety of new jobs, a large amount of traveling, choosing a new church, student teaching, the list goes on… Needless to say, a lot of change has taken place. Out of all of this, one thing has become resoundingly clear to me.
That is…

I love Iowa City.

I really do. Leaving California in May 2010, I wasn’t sure how I felt about returning to Iowa. What did Iowa City really have to offer someone after living outside of LA for 4 years? I though there was nothing for me here anymore, and I feared I would feel like I was going backwards in time by returning to my hometown. But this has not been the case at all.
Honestly, living in Iowa City makes me happy every day. From the minute I wake up and realize where I am, I am happy. I am in my home. The home that we built both materially and emotionally. This home has so much character, so many memories, the ideal location in town, a beautiful yard, etc. I love it. I love cooking in it, I love doing crafts in it, I love sleeping in it, I love hosting in it. I find myself wanting to be home more and more. While all the memories that have been made in this house are not perfect, they are what makes us the family we are. This is a safe, loving, and warm environment. I am so thankful for this house and for the family that makes this house truly a home.
I love the “feel” of Iowa City. Having lived here for my whole life (minus college), I am still discovering new things about it. I love that it is big enough to be diverse, to offer countless opportunities for growth and change . It appeals to all different “types” of people- everyone can find an outlet for whatever it is that they are interested in. I am interested in and passionate about very different things as a 23 year old than the last time I lived here, as a 17 year old.
My favorite craft shop here.
Moving back, I couldn’t imagine Iowa City having much that appealed to my new interests, or allowed room for further exploration. But I was so wrong! There are so many opportunities here that I would have to live here for a long time to be able to take advantage of all of them. I love that with so many options in so many areas, I am not forced to choose just one interest to pursue. This city offers a variety of opportunities for all varying hobbies/interests. And yet while maintaining the opportunity of a “big city”, Iowa City is still small enough. I don’t feel lost in it like I do in a big city. It’s small enough to know people well, to feel connected, to feel important, to feel comfortable and familiar.




I love the scenery. I love the river that runs through the middle of town. I love the variety of trees that produce ever-changing images, including every shade of color in the rainbow. I love the brick roads and historic buildings. I love despite being a “city”, there are oases of hills, fields, ponds, woods, trails, where you can easily escape and feel like you are the only one for miles.




I love the seasons. I love that we get each one to it’s fullest. I love how the seasons gradually shift, so there is time to prepare and anticipate what is coming, while savoring what is present. I love that the city provides ways to really experience each season –with decorations, festivals, parades, dance, music, art exhibits, etc. Every time of year is exciting here because there is something to look forward to. And if you don’t like the weather…just wait – it will change!



I love the culture. I know that many people don’t think of Iowa as a diverse place, and let’s face it – on the big scale, it’s probably not. But Iowa City is a different story. It may be atypical for Iowa, but this city is certainly diverse. With such a diverse makeup, it is easy to find any and every culture. With festivals, markets, art, language, etc., living in Iowa could feel like living very far away. The love for the arts has been especially apparent to me since moving back.

There is always live music somewhere. There are music festivals, performances, lectures, etc often!The arts community here is strong, diverse, and absolutely wonderful!


And do not forget the Iowan culture itself! When I think of Iowans, I think of authenticity, helpfulness, resourcefulness, sharing –Iowans are a big bunch of uniquely good people. And of course, there is the farm culture surrounding the city -the tractors, the overalls, and hearty farm meals (that I would never eat, but think are cute anyway).

The farm culture of Iowa is certainly present, but not overwhelming in this city (like in the surrounding small towns). I love that Iowa can maintain its own culture, while accepting and embracing the culture of others.




I love the uniqueness of Iowa City. I love that we don't have many chain restaurants or stores, but have countless locally owned, "only in Iowa City"gems. I love that it has a ped mall rather than a mega mall. I love that it didn't get a Starbucks until 2005, and even still - the locally owned coffee shops are 100x more popular. These unique offerings thrive here, because Iowa City is full of people who aren't satisfied with the ho-hum giant chains, but happily support the jewels that make Iowa City the unique place that it is.








I am so thankful to have grown up here and be able to come back and spend more time here. If the opportunity presented itself, I think I could live here a long time. I can’t really think of a better place to raise a family. I don’t imagine that I’ll be here for much longer, but if the cards were dealt that way, I would be very okay with it.

Regardless of the weird stage of life I am in right now, questioning just about everything I know or thought I knew, sometime that I maintain is a deep gratefulness for being surrounded by wonderful people in a wonderful place that is truly home.

1 comment:

tjp said...

Awww...I heart IC for many of the same reasons. It is a great place to live. Loved your capture.