I do not have time for a full post. I actually don't even have time for a quick post. But I am going to do a quick post anyway.
This week I saw two movies that I think are worth sharing with you.
One was called "Waiting for Superman". It is a phenomenal documentary about the American public education system. It was great timing to watch it as I am very shortly heading into another school year. Doesn't every teacher start to wonder if we're really that significant? Sometimes it feels depressing looking at the situation of American's schooling. If you haven't seen the movie, I will give you a sneak preview stat.
Did you know that in one state, a majority of the students do not finish highschool, but drop out and end up in jail. Of course, once they are in jail, they are sadly not reaching their potential, and also not contributing to the society that they are in. Rather than contributing to the economy, and being in school, learning and developing skills and knowledge to use in that state, it costs the state $33,000 to support them for one year in jail. So let's say they end up there when they are 14, and are there for 4 years. That is $132,000.
Now,the average cost of a private school is $8,300/year. So...had the state just spend the money to send that student to a private school, they could have attended a private school for K-12 for $107,900. They would have had closer attention, higher accountability, high-quality education...and the state would still have $24,000 left over!
I'm not going to elaborate on any more details. If you want to know more- you need to watch it!
"And the second movie??" Ah, yes. I'm glad you asked.
Anyone who knows me knows that I do not eat meat (or you do now). I have been a vegetarian for years now. And I love it. The whole "why are you a vegetarian?" question really should only be asked if you have a long time to sit and listen to the myriad of reasons. Contrary to what many may assume, I really do have many well-thought out different reasons for choosing to not eat meat. That doesn't mean that you don't have to. And I don't think people who eat meat are evil.
That being said, there is a movie that has been made called "American Meat". It is currently just touring the country. It was in Iowa City and Devin and I went to see it. It was VERY informational. I have seen countless movies on health and the food industry, and they are all very good. This movie emphasized a different area than many of the others. Rather than focusing on health or the American diet as a whole, it really just zooms in on the meat industry. Even though I don't eat meat so it technically doesn't affect me, it is still very good to be aware of it, and I think that everybody would truly benefit if all eaters were more aware and more informed of the repercussions of what they choose to eat. Check out the screening schedule and see if it is coming anywhere near you!
http://www.americanmeatfilm.com/
I just realized that this post really brings to life my nerdiness. Most people who know me well also know that I am really not a "movie person". I honestly rarely enjoy movies unless they are Disney movies. But DOCUMENTARIES. oh man. lock me in a room with documentaries all day, and I'm a happy camper. Why? Because I'm LEARNING!!! ( see last post if you wonder whether or not I enjoy learning.:))
So yes, call me a nerd, but these are basically the only movies I've watched this summer, and I recommend them both.
What are the best documentaries you've seen? I'm always looking for more things to learn about. :) Please share with me what you've found to be insightful, informative, funny, mind boggling, etc.
1 comment:
i'm sad i missed out on the meat thing! okay, i had to post this from this website! it's satire obviously, but this whole theme of learning keeps making me think of this website. here's a post ;) http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2010/09/08/134-the-ted-conference/
Post a Comment