Saturday, August 27, 2011

Check!

Do you have a bucket list? I made one once upon a time. My freshman year in college I actually sat down and compiled a list of things to do before I die. Some were silly, but some…I was totally serious about. The top two slots consisted of seeing Josh Groban in concert and seeing Celine Dion in concert.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, my generous father decided that as the last “Grove family summer hoorah” we would take a last minute trip to see Josh Groban in concert in Des Moines.

Oh. My. Gosh.

For this special occasion, I dressed up (in Sarah’s clothes, of course. Like I would own anything nice enough to wear in the presence of Josh Groban? Ha!)

As usual with the Grove family, we were running behind schedule and waited until we got to Des Moines to get our tickets. Well, this time, it actually paid off! As we were purchasing our tickets, two kind Iowan women came up to us and offered us two tickets. FOR FREE! They had won them on the radio but weren’t going to go to, so they just gave us the tickets. Wow!
By the time we got into the arena, we had a very short time to find food before the concert began. I thought this would be an easy task, but apparently arenas in Iowa have not adapted for vegetarians yet! I searched at every kiosk and found nothing but meat. So while the rest of my family ate their meat, I pouted a bit, mad at Iowa for not at least having a veggie burger! But then I remembered that in a matter of minutes I was going to see Josh Groban! So I pushed aside my hunger, and anxiously found our seat.

The concert began with a crazy talented pianist. Fun and entertaining, but I was just itching to see Josh himself!

After the pianist, there was an intermission, so I went back into the arena to continue my search for something to fill my stomach, of which the main ingredient was not grease. As Sarah and I were wondering, we were approached by an older man who asked us where we were sitting. We reluctantly answered, “section 112…”. He proceeded to explain that he worked for the arena, and needed to find girls to move down to the very front to sit right in front of Josh. He offered us free seats directly in front of Josh’s piano. *insert Rachel freaking out with excitement, and Sarah feeling guilty for leaving the family* .ha…so typical. He told us he would be out in the arena looking for people to give them to, so we hurriedly ran and asked our family if they minded if we ditched them. Once we got the “okay”, we went back out to search for the man, but he was nowhere to be found! Just as I was getting angry at Sarah for not letting us just take the tickets when we first were offered them, I spotted the man walking in the distance! I ran to catch him and ask if he still had any tickets. Sure enough…he had TWO left.

*DESTINY* !!



The concert was amazing to say the least. Being within arms reach of Josh, we were taking in his velvety voice like teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert. Let it be known that Josh is not only phenomenally talented, but also absolutely hysterical. I am always a little skeptical of going to live concerts because every now and then, great artists have not-so-great personalities, so seeing them live is sometimes a little disappointing. This is not the case with josh! If I had to choose two words to describe his personality, they would be quirky and witty. He had me laughing out loud multiple times. He was everything I dreamed of, and more. ☺




Okay…I’ll snap out of my 12-year-old girl mindset, and say that in all seriousness, it was a great concert. I’m so happy that I can now check off “See Josh Groban live in concert” off of my bucket list, and the concert far exceeded my expectations. If Josh Groban is touring near you…go! You won’t regret it.

1 comment:

Sharon Lobb said...

I have a mental bucket list...and have checked off quite a few this year....going to India, a roadtrip to Cali to visit family, canoeing and hiking in the Boundary Waters with fam, biking RAGBRAI (1 day, but 90 miles is good for this old woman!), biking to Waterloo (we have a tandem, I'm the stoker), my oldest son is getting married this weekend, I have been able to learn how to do healing prayer (theophostic) with people and this is so fulfilling!...but the fun ends. I have my second rotator cuff surgery Sept. 16 and will sit around and go crazy. Yes, I know...that's a short trip. Love ur blog. Keep it up!